Questions to Ask About Chiropractic Techniques
There are many different chiropractic techniques. Some doctors of chiropractic perform joint manipulation with their hands only, while others use various instruments. Additionally, some chiropractors treat using quick but firm manipulation, while others have a lighter touch.
In short, chiropractic treatment is largely driven by the individual preferences of both the chiropractor and the patient.
Sample Chiropractic Technique Questions
Many of these questions about chiropractic care don't have a right or wrong answer, but having a better understanding of chiropractic technique will allow the patient to better assess if there is a good patient-doctor fit.
- Which chiropractic techniques does the chiropractor use and why? Most chiropractors are experienced in a range of techniques, e.g. 4 or 5 techniques, and will pick the one or ones best suited to the patient and his or her condition.
- Does the chiropractor use his or her hands or an instrument for the chiropractic manipulation?
- Does the chiropractor employ a deeper, joint-popping adjustment or a low-force adjustment?
- Is the chiropractor experienced in treating problems similar to the patient's?
- How many years has the doctor been in practice?
- How much training and experience does the chiropractor have in the specific technique he or she is recommending?
After asking these questions, the individual may find that further research about specific chiropractic techniques is necessary.
To read the entire article by Kelly Andrews,DC and learn about potential red flags, click here.